Monday, September 28, 2009

Health comes first

I am sad to say that yesterday was my last day on $1.25 (USD)/day.

I had always said that I would put my health first, and that is the decision that I made yesterday as I began to feel that this challenge had become a hindrance on my day-to-day work and life. I had zero-to-no energy, I have had an onset of the flu, I was getting pain in my eyes whenever I would focus for long periods, I had lost about 5kg's in 3 weeks and I felt that I couldn't think constructively at work... all in all it was time to stop.

Starting this 4 week challenge has ended up being such a worldly decision to make, I had gained so much from it (including lethargy and the flu!) - the concept of $1.25/day really is extreme to me now. I would say that it is almost unlivable. Whilst I could consume enough energy to get through each day; I was unable to consume the food that could provide me with the right nutrients for my health and growth.

I will write a more detailed summary of my diet and nutritional failures later. However, I would happily say that removing 1.4 billion people from extreme poverty and to be living above 1.25/day is only scratching the surface of the challenge that faces our generation.

1 comment:

  1. Amazing reality check showing the extent to which living on this small amount impacts on daily existence and the lives we take for granted aka productivity beyond purely existing.

    ReplyDelete