Saturday, September 19, 2009

Finding Opportunity


Hi all,

All is going well on the eating front, I had a tough few days as work took me to Sydney (all travel costs are bared by GPP). I was however left in a quandary on Tuesday night, as I finally took my first piece of charity on this month journey.

I caught up with my sister (who is studying in Sydney) for dinner and she insisted that she buy me dinner for the night. My dinner was a basic Pad See Ew (see picture) which cost $10 - almost my total weekly expenditure!

I was in Sydney to meet with Opportunity International - a ground breaking micro-credit organisation. They are changing millions of lives across the world through providing access to micro-credit and subsequent basic services around micro-credit.

The trip up to Sydney and my visit to Opportunity International really got me thinking about the advantages we have in our society to follow our dreams. If I really was living on $1.25/day there would be no way that I would have access to the opportunities that I do.

People living on $1.25/day really have limited access to opportunities and choice. If I think past the challenge of getting a sufficient food etc I have so many other opportunities outside living on 1.25/day.

I guess to really achieve my desired objective and fully understand the plight of the poorest of the poor, I would have to live in a rural village in Africa with no support at all. I would have to cut all lifelines and forget everything I know from my 17 years of education.

Sounds crazy.... but watch this space :)

No comments:

Post a Comment