Thursday, September 10, 2009

What does $1.25 mean?

In the presentation we talk about USD$1.25 - and it is this section where we refer to it being worth 2 bowls of rice with vegitables in Indonesia that got me thinking about how I really didn't understand what living on so little meant.

I have lived in the slums of Dhaka for part of my time living in Bangladesh. There I was surrounded by families whom were living on less than this figure developed by the World Bank . The figure of a dollar was developed a few decades ago as a representation of the average global costs (in US terms) for consuming enough food to get by. More recently this has increased to an average cost of USD$1.25.

It has even been through my experiences and understanding of extreme poverty that I do not fully understand the plight of 1.4bn people in our world and I found myself walking through my local Coles supermarket (note: commercial plug for my sponsors!)

So what can a man buy in Fitzroy Coles??? (note: second plug - they better give me a good deal on the rotten bananas next time)

Answer: A lot more than he thought he could buy for that!

Whilst it was a positive to find I could buy more than I thought... It still ain't much.

In my true nerdy fashion I have created a spreadsheet to work out what is the best combination of foods that I could come up with that would: 1) keep me healthy and 2) keep me from being hungry. This is what I came up with:

Breakfast:
Oats - 71.5g @ $1.19/900g
Skim Milk - 333ml @ $3.99/10L (powdered)
Sugar - 33g @ $0.89/kg

Dinner:
Baked Beans - 210g @ $0.69/420g
Pasta - 142g @ $0.59/500g
Egg - 1x @ $2.39/dozen
Frozen Vegies - 142g @ $1.59/kg

Overall I am spending about a dollar a day on this food... the rest of the money I will be using to buy fresh veg to keep healthy.

Have a look at these photos of my yummy dinner for last night:

No comments:

Post a Comment